Thursday, September 2, 2010

Geococcyx Californianus (Roadrunner)

It was Sunday afternoon, August 29th. I decided to go somewhere and take some pictures of flowers and plants. That is, if there were any still alive from this Texas heat....... Why I decided to go in the middle of the afternoon, I don't know. Upon arrival at my chosen destination, I was surprised when I saw a security guard to my left. I stopped immediately and rolled down my window and took a picture. (The picture didn't turn out well since he blended in with his surroundings.)


However, he decided to cross right in front of my truck, so I snapped a shot over my driver side mirror........
Then I took a shot through my dusty windshield :( ......

I was fascinated. He definitely crossed in the proper area! I went ahead and parked my truck, then walked back to see where he went. I saw him go out of the foliage into an open area, but thought heck, I won't be able to get a picture of that quick bird. I was happy at our unexpected encounter and went on with my intentions to look at plants and fountains and such. I got busy trying to take some shots of bees and butterflies on some flowers.


 I looked over my left shoulder and saw that I was being watched:

Not only watched, but being followed. I turned around and continued to take photos of the flowers, but the situation got worse......

I tried to talk my way out of the situation since I was merely taking photos of some beautiful flowers...

I didn't move. I decided to start a friendly conversation and hope no one was watching me talk to a bird!

That's a real nice profile shot Mr. RR. (Actually, I don't know how to tell a male from a female since they appear to be colored the same.)  By looking at those small wings, I can tell why you can't really fly. No offense though, 'cause you can really run.......

Wish I had something to feed you, but I didn't plan ahead and bring: insects, spiders, scorpions, small reptiles, ...small birds, or.........gulp.......rattlesnake! We chatted for a while and then agreed it was really hot and we could use a cold drink. So we parted ways.

I left with a warm feeling. I had never been followed or approached by a roadrunner. I've grown up seeing them cross on country roads. My rural mailcarrier dad would also call them chaparrals. I never thought about what they eat, but after reading that they are one of the few (only?) birds that will kill and eat a rattlesnake, they have to be some tough guys :)  Kind of like hawks on the ground......

No comments:

Post a Comment