Thursday, August 19, 2010

Geckos

I have some small buddies that hang out at my house. I've been trying to take pictures of them after dark the past few nights, but..........they are fast, camouflage against my house, and hang out in low light areas.  At least that is what my point and shoot camera tells me........  They do like for me to leave the porch, bathroom, or kitchen lights on at night since that attracts bugs to the windows. I get to see their undersides when they are hanging on my windows. This one was taken on my textured bathroom window:

The year on the above photo is wrong. That was explained in my Friday the 13th post! 



This is a medium size gecko with a long, striped tail. That means the tail has never been broken off! That's one of their escape/defense features. I've seen many a broken off tail (still moving) while trying to rescue them from my dogs.....  The tail re-grows, but it is shorter and wider from what I have read. 


I have 3 large geckos that hang out on the back porch each night. I just haven't been lucky enought to get their photos. A couple of them have fat, non-striped tails!  My adventures have included opening a front or back door and them falling on me because they are hanging out on the door. Or, maybe moving a flower pot and them being underneath. I've also rescued several from my house and relocated them back outside. Sad stories are closing the door on them and flower pots on top of them........

No comments:

Post a Comment