Sunday, August 15, 2010

George Strait

And on the 7th day ... .......

I have been a George Strait fan for a long time. I remember seeing him on TV when I was at my parent's house in the late 70's. It was a Ralph Emery show that I watched frequently. I think it was Pop Goes The Country, which later became Nashville Now. It was so long ago, that my memory is fuzzy........but I remember Ralph Emery's introduction of  "and here is a new country singer who is a real cowboy from Texas"...or something like that. It caught my attention, but then the sight and sound of George really caught my attention. He wasn't a lot older than me, but already married and had a daughter. Thus began my faithful following...
In the early 80's, when he had only had 1 or 2 number 1 hits and before the huge arena concerts, I attended his concert in Waco. I think it was at the Convention Center. As you can see from the photos, we were able to stand right in front of him on stage. Warning: this was taken with a Polaroid camera :)

He was so young. And so was I....... I used to watch him on Austin City Limits in the early years. I remember hearing the terrible news that his daughter was killed at age 13 in an automobile accident. My older brother's daughter, my only niece, was just a few years younger than Jenifer at that time...... I remember him doing some Chevy commercials and some with his blue heeler. I even found a box of George Strait dog treats with their picture on it.........then I heard the news that his dog was missing.



Of course, I saw the movie Pure Country when it was at the theater. The closeup shot of his fantastic smile, what an ending! I have the DVD, but I swear, every time I run across the movie on TV, I watch the rest of it........ I've seen him at the huge concerts in the Astrodome at the Houston Livestock Show. I also have a DVD of From The Astrodome, For the Last Time.  I attended one of his concerts at Texas Stadium which had numerous other big country performers. Most of them headline their own concerts now. Sure, I have almost all of his records and really enjoyed when there was a whole XM radio channel devoted to him. Then there is the George Strait Team Roping Classic. I've seen his son, Bubba, compete in team roping. He was competing at the Texas Circuit Finals a few Januarys ago. George was there. He was sitting on a horse in the alley way, wearing a cap and glasses. I'm not a fanatic fan. I just respect George keeping true to his Texas cowboy roots, his family, and still being a successful country singer. Guess I better sign off for now. And please remember:

1 comment:

  1. I am seriously seriously so excited!! I can not think of anything better than Reba & George TOGETHER in concert! It's honestly like a dream come true .This month they giving away great George Strait Tickets at Ticketwood.com . it would be a dream for George fans

    ReplyDelete